So, it’s getting to the end of the year and I’ve decided it’s the time to do Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner’s End of Year Survey. I can’t see myself reading many more books this year, and those will mostly be rereads. So, here’s my round up of 2014. Reading-wise, it’s been pretty good (although things certainly slowed down a bit during my first semester at uni!) (Also, this is just the first part. There’ll be more tomorrow! And here it is.)
Number of Books I Read: 107
Number of Rereads: 7
Genre You Read The Most From: Unsurprisingly, it’s fantasy!
Best In Books
1. Best book you read in 2014?
This one is really, really hard. I’ve got about six really good ones to choose from, but I think I’m going to go for Since You’ve Been Gone. I connected with this book so much and I wanted to reread it pretty much instantly.
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more, but didn’t?
City of Heavenly Fire. I was expecting so much more from the finale of the series. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but I was hoping for better.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or a bad way) book you read in 2014?
Hmm, The 100 (in a bad way). I started watching the show before reading the books and loved it, so the book was definitely a bit of a disappointment. I thought it would be really good – clearly not.
4. Book you “pushed” the most people to read (and they did) in 2014?
I’m always pushing books on people, but my biggest success this year was getting my sister to finally read Percy Jackson. She’s been refusing for the past few years, but the moment I left for university, she started the series. And she LOVES it!
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best sequel of 2014? Best series ender of 2014?
This list took me a while to narrow down but I finally got there. The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) was a brilliant start to the series and I fell in love with Brandon Sanderson’s series. The best sequel has to be Cress – I caught up on the series this year and I’m obsessed. And of course, The Blood of Olympus was the best series ender. It was great!
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2014?
There are a few on the list – Morgan Matson, Marissa Meyer and Elizabeth Wein.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
So, I read a few classics this year which I usually find really hard to get through. However, I loved Pride and Prejudice a lot so it’s an easy pick.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I’m going to go with Steelheart. It had superheroes (kind of), a dystopian setting, and some many fights. It was brilliant!
9. Book you read in 2014 that you are most likely to reread next year?
Since You’ve Been Gone, without a doubt.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Well, the first characters that came to mind were Cress and Thorne from Cress. That might be because I’m slightly in love with fthem though.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
That has to go to Laini Taylor’s Dreams of Gods and Monsters. The writing was wonderful, just like the rest of the series.
13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2014?
This Song Will Save Your Life – it really touched me back at the beginning of the year.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
That has to be Pride and Prejudice. Why did I not read it years ago?? It’ll definitely be a reread next year.
15. Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2014?
“It’s like being in love, discovering your best friend.”
from Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.
16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2014?
Shortest: Renegade by L. A. Wilcox – 153 pages
Longest: Winter’s Heart by Robert Jordan – 780 pages
17. Book that shocked you the most?
The Final Empire. There was a part at the end that I really wasn’t expecting. I genuinely could not believe what happened.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I have a few too many choices for this question – Percabeth is high up there, as are Chaol and Celaena, and Vin and Elend. But, I have to go for Mik and Zuzana, from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. THEY’RE SO ADORABLE. I LOVE THEM.
19. Favourite non-romantic relationship of the year
MADDIE AND JULIE. THEIRS IS THE BEST FRIENDSHIP THAT I HAVE EVER READ. (Those two are from Code Name Verity by the way).
20. Favourite book you read in 2014 from an author you’ve read previously.
Hmmm, this is actually quite hard. Actually, wait, I forgot about Heir of Fire. That book of awesomeness!
21. Best book you read in 2014 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure.
Code Name Verity. Everybody in the blogosphere seemed to be telling me to read it, and I’m so glad they did!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
So, I’m not sure this counts but I’m going to say Bellamy Blake from The 100. Basically, I love him in the tv show (partly because I love Bob Morley who portays him), but did like him quite a lot in the book too.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I didn’t read many debuts, but I did enjoy Sandy Hall’s A Little Something Different.
24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most FUN to read?
Since You’ve Been Gone. It was so cute and summery and I just loved it.
26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2014?
Code Name Verity. Do you have to ask?
27. Hidden gem of the year?
Lies We Tell Ourselves. It was a really good read, and so worth reading.
28. Book that crushed your soul?
Hmm, oh, I’m not sure. Hang on, wait a sec. CODE NAME VERITY. WHY DID I READ THIS BOOK?
29. Most unique book you read in 2014?
30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I got so annoyed with The Artful. I just disliked it a lot and it made me kind of angry at times.
And that’s my year in books! Part 2 will be up tomorrow, as well as maybe a review. I don’t know. We’ll see.
What was one of your favourite books in 2014?